Thursday, August 13, 2009

Please Don't Intervene In Saving My Life - Let Me Die Naturally.

As I draw nearer to the end of life on this old earth it is with regret I find myself having to explain why I want No-Intervention in regards to saving my life.

I have been in the health care arena for more than 45 years. I have seen hundreds upon thousands of people both blessed and cursed by our medical system. Times were much simpler in the 1950's when my father passed away. He simply died in his sleep most likely of a massive myocardia infaract. There was no CPR, no rushing him to the Emergency Room, and no Cardiac Surgeons.

When I was 10 and throwing a neighborhood paper route, one of my customers asked me to check on her husband. He had been in the bathroom and had slipped from the toilet onto the floor. She asked that I help him up. When I entered the bathroom it was immediately apparent he was dead. I left him on the floor and told her, it appeared he was dead.

When my mother was in her early 80's my brother Frank called all the brothers and asked if we wanted mother on life support. I told him Mother had a good life and if it were time for her to pass - please let it happen naturally.

And now as I near the end of my life please let it be naturally. Do Not placed me on a ventilator to sustain my life. Do Not let a knife near my chest to make my heart last a few years longer. Do Not poke needles into vital organs to obtain tissue samples for biopsies. If I have a life-threatning disease like cancer please don't radiate me and don't cut on me. Just keep me pain free and please Do Not place me on oxygen which only would prolong my pain and suffering.

You might think I am crazy for wanting a natural death but think of it this way. To this point in time I have lived a 5 dozen plus years. I have loved each and every second of my life and if there comes a time that I cannot continue to enjoy each and every second of life I don't want to live. It is just that simple.

Quality of Life is very important to me and there is NO DOCTOR that can guarantee Quality of Life after cardiac surgery. And NO DOCTOR that can guarantee Qualtiy of Life after poking my prostate and stirring up a potential cancer. There is NO DOCTOR that can put back together my stomach or any other part of my body like GOD intended it to be the first time.

Having Open Heart Surgery at 65, 70, 75 or 80 years of age is NOT what I want to do. The most I can expect is 6 months of hell recovering, a huge medical bill that I can not afford and if I'm really lucky perhaps another 1-15 years of living in pain and most likely on medications I don't want to take. Do you see my point?

Now don't get me wrong. Life is Precious! But Life is Not Precious if I'm in pain everyday to the point where I can not enjoy all that life has to offer.

Please Don't Intervene In Saving My Life - Let Me Die Naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment